Watermelon smoothies are a bit different from other fruit smoothies since watermelon has an extremely high water content. If you don't know how to make a watermelon smoothie correctly, this can result in a watery smoothie with little flavor. To combat the watery smoothie problem, I pre-freeze the watermelon for this recipe.
3 cups seedless watermelon (frozen, cut into 1/2-inch chunks)
1 cup milk (or almond milk, soy milk, whole milk)
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
3 tablespoons maple syrup
Optional: 2 sprigs mint for garnish
Optional: 2 small wedges of fresh watermelon for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT
1. Cut watermelon into small chunks. Make sure watermelon chunks are fairly small - about 1/2 inch to make chunks easier to blend into the smoothie.
2. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place fresh cut watermelon on the cookie sheet, leaving space between the pieces. Cover with plastic wrap.
3. Freeze 1 hour. Or if preparing the watermelon in advance for smoothies later in the week, transfer to a plastic storage bag and freeze until ready to use.
4. Place frozen watermelon chunks in blender
5. Top with milk, yogurt, then maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
6. Serve watermelon smoothies immediately, using chilled glasses. Garnish with a wedge of watermelon and fresh mint, if desired.
Date Published: 02 February 2018