- 1 (3-4 lb.) boneless beef roast (chuck roast, bottom round, etc.), thawed
- 1/2 cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tsp. beef bouillon
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 cups water
- 8-10 French Rolls, Hoagies, Baguettes or Hamburger Buns
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter or non-dairy alternative
- thinly sliced cheese (Swiss, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, etc.)
- Trim away extra fat from the outside of the roast. Place the trimmed roast in a slow cooker/CrockPot.
- In a 1 cup measuring glass, measure the 1/2 cup soy sauce. Stir the beef bouillon and garlic powder into the soy sauce. Pour the mixture over the roast.
- Using same measuring cup, add 3 cups of water to the slow cooker.
- Place lid on slow cooker and set to cook on LOW heat for 8-10 hours, or until meat is very tender. There is flexibility with timing, so set it for what works for your schedule!
- After cooking, remove the meat from the broth. Slice the meat with a knife if you prefer slices, or shred with two forks if you prefer shredded. Return sliced or shredded meat back to slow cooker and keep on warm setting until serving.
- Slice hoagie buns in half and lay cut side up on foil lined baking sheet. The foil is for easy clean-up!
- Brush each hoagie half with melted butter or non-dairy butter.
- Place in oven under hi broiler setting for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully, pulling out when edges start to brown.
- Top one side of each hoagie bun with thinly sliced cheese if desired. Return to oven on broiler setting for another 30-45 seconds or until cheese is melted but bun isn't burned.
- Remove from oven and add meat to hoagies.
- Spoon the broth from the slow cooker into ramekins or glass bowls for a dipping sauce (au jus). Enjoy!
Date Published: 07 March 2018