• Zest and juice of 1 orange
• 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
• 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon chili paste
• 1½ tablespoons sugar
• 1½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1½ tablespoons minced garlic
• 1½ tablespoons minced fresh ginger
• 6 cups mixed cut raw stir-fry vegetables (broccoli, bok choy, zucchini, onion, red bell peppers, carrots)
• 3 cups cooked udon noodles
• ¼ cup freshly chopped basil leaves
• ¼ cup freshly chopped mint leaves
• ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
• 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts, for garnish
1. Combine the orange zest and juice, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chili paste, sugar, and vinegar in a bowl; set aside. Combine the sesame oil and canola oil in a small bowl.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil mixture in a skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until they begin to color, about 2 minutes. Add the mixed vegetables and stir-fry until crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the noodles and reserved sauce. Cook for 1 minute. Add the basil, mint, and cilantro; toss to mix. Serve hot; garnish with the peanuts.
Bell peppers and carrots are a very good source of Vitamin E and they contain carotenoids, including excellent amounts of beta-carotene and zeaxanthin. Both these carotenoids provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory health benefits.
Date Published: 12 June 2017