Nature is in a constant state of flux. The tide comes in; the tide goes out. Spring brings budding flowers, while with the passing of winter, the falling of leaves as all things prepare for the coming of colder months. It is all too easy as humans sometimes to forget that we are just as susceptible to these forces. Rather than bemoan rainy days and the chill of the outdoors this winter, embrace the much-needed downtime with the things we do best in the warmth and comfort of our own homes.
- Get baking. Leave the kitchen door open and let the warmth of the oven and the aromas of home-baking fill the house as you whip up some gingerbread men or oatmeal cookies. All the better served up with a warm mug of hot chocolate!
- Get some shut eye. Could there be anything better than a lazy afternoon nap on a cold winter’s day, snug as a bug under those folds of warm woollen blankets? Indulge yourself. The world can wait.
- Get nostalgic. Whip out those photo albums and spend the day reliving all the good times of your life until now. Better yet, use this time indoors to put together a few newer albums for your collection. All the more for the next rainy day.
- Relax with a good read. When last did you spend some quality time between the pages of a good book? Now’s your chance. Whether under the covers, curled up in your favourite armchair or soaking in a tub, immerse yourself in a page-turner and drift away.
- Get your game on. While binge series watching has its place (and it totally does!), nothing can replace a games evening. So dust off that scrabble board or get those jammies on for a night of twister. Even a pack of cards will do the trick with the rules to countless card games readily available online.
- Start a new hobby. Maybe you’ve always wanted to learn how to knit. Maybe you’ve been wanting to start a blog. From candle-making, to quilting, to origami, there are endless indoor hobbies for you to choose from this winter. With all the online tutorials at the ready, it’ll make getting in touch with your creative side all that much easier.
- Host a film festival. Gather the troops and get the popcorn ready. Scatter the lounge with blankets and cushions and line-up your all-time favourite films for an evening of viewing pleasure.
- Redecorate. While stuck indoors you might as well use the opportunity to sample different paint colours on your walls or experiment with old furniture that may be looking a little worse for wear. It might be just the change of scenery you need!
- Eat your fill of lip-smacking comfort foods. Whether Italian ossobucco served up on cauliflower mash, or tomato soup with grilled cheese, winter is the perfect time to warm up with a good hot meal.
- Cuddle up. Whether with your partner, your pet or your little ones, what better excuse could you have to cuddle up and get cosy together? Not only does a bit of cuddling keep the chills at bay, but it does wonders for the soul too.
Date Published: 07 June 2016